Monday, April 14, 2008

Wow. Hibernate worked!

On my Fujitsu laptop. Running on Debian. Wooow.

Debian yammered about starting the snapshot process (checkpointing, Hussein sez) and proceeded to write n number of pages. Once that's done, the laptop powered down, and I went out to dinner. When I powered on the computer again, what greeted me was the GRUB menu. And I was thiking "well so much for false hopes..."

Once I booted into Debian though, it started to yammer about resuming from n pages of image (checkpoint-restore, Hussein sez) and voila! It's back to exactly where I left off!

Both the checkpointing and restoring took longer than in Windows, though.


ps: Apparently Hibernate is not expected to work usually:

<obiwan> hey guys
<obiwan> 'Hibernate' actually worked for my colleague.
<ahu> .. once
<ijuz> probably some new drug
<obiwan> No, it really worked

Hahahahahahaaaahahaha! :D

2 comments:

hussein said...

Hibernate does work sometimes :)

What you did there looks like suspend to disk. You can try suspend to ram, it's faster : s2ram

Unknown said...

I tried s2ram but itdidn't work for me! :D I get a very, very black screen after resuming -- the power light's on, hard disk is running (I know 'cos of the whirring fan), but the display's very, very asleep.

Oh and yes, hibernate uses s2disk.